COMECE, the Commission of the Bishops' Conferences of the European Union, is made up of Bishops delegated by the Catholic Bishops’ Conferences of the 28 Member States of the European Union. A single Bishop represents Denmark, Sweden, and Finland; while the Bishops' Conference of the United Kingdom is represented by a Bishop of the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, and by a Bishop of the Scottish Bishops' Conference.
COMECE holds two meetings of the Plenary Assembly each year, which set out the main lines of its work. The Apostolic Nuncio to the European Union participates in these meetings. A seminal issue of the European integration process provides the core theme of each meeting.
The COMECE Standing Committee is composed of the President, four Vice-Presidents and the General Secretary. Currently its members are:
- Mgr Jean-Claude Hollerich, Archbishop of Luxembourg, Luxembourg (President)
- Mgr Mariano Crociata, Bishop of Latina, Italy (First Vice-President)
- Mgr Noël Treanor, Bishop of Down & Connor, Ireland (Vice-President)
- Mgr Jan Vokal, Bishop of Hradec Králové, Czech Republic (Vice-President)
- Mgr Franz-Josef Overbeck, Bishop of Essen, Germany (Vice-President)
- Fr. Manuel Enrique Barrios Prieto, (General Secretary).
List of our Member Bishops per country in alphabetical order: