The Standing Committee is composed of the President and four Vice-Presidents elected by the Assembly from among its members with care taken to ensure that they are representative of the geographical distribution of the Episcopates of the European Union.
The President’s and Vice-Presidents’ mandate lasts for five years and is renewable only once.
The Standing Committee meets twice each year and as often as the President considers it appropriate or when at least three of its members request it.
The main duties of the Standing Committee are: to prepare the matters to be submitted to the Assembly for examination; to oversee the implementation of the Assembly’s decisions; to issue, in case of necessity and on its own authority, acts or declarations; and to verify and promote the well-ordered and effective functioning of the Secretariat.
The current members of the Standing Committee are:
- H. Em. Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich SJ, Archbishop of Luxembourg, Luxembourg (President)
- H. E. Mgr. Mariano Crociata, Bishop of Latina, Italy (First Vice-President)
- H. E. Mgr. Noël Treanor, Bishop of Down & Connor, Ireland (Vice-President)
- H. E. Mgr. Jan Vokal, Bishop of Hradec Králové, Czech Republic (Vice-President)
- H. E. Mgr. Franz-Josef Overbeck, Bishop of Essen, Germany (Vice-President)
The meetings of the Standing Committee include the participation of:
- Fr. Manuel Enrique Barrios Prieto, (General Secretary)
- Alessandro Calcagno (Assistant General Secretary)
- the Apostolic Nuncio to the European Union