COMECE Internship Programme (Brussels, Fall 2022)
The Commission of the Bishops’ Conferences of the European Union (COMECE) represents the Catholic Church in the EU countries vis-à-vis the European institutions. Founded 40 years ago with the mission of following closely the integration process of Europe, it monitors legislative and policy measures that are being taken at EU level and maintains an open dialogue between the Church in Europe, represented by the Bishops’ Conferences, and the EU institutions, mainly the Council, the Parliament and the Commission. COMECE’s Secretariat has its headquarters in Brussels with a staff of around 15 persons who carry out the day-to-day work. The Secretariat is accountable to the plenary assembly formed by Bishops delegated by the Bishops’ Conferences of the European Union.
COMECE offers internships for persons with a keen interest in the mission of the Catholic Church in Europe that want to improve their understanding of the EU policy and decision-making processes and their advocacy skills.
We are currently in search of an intern who will work alongside COMECE’s pool of legal and policy advisors. This includes, but is not limited to, Social & Economic Affairs, Culture & Education, Migration & Asylum, External Affairs, Justice & Fundamental Rights, as well as Ethics, Research & Health.
The placement is planned for a duration of 5 to 8 months and is compatible with other formation programs in other institutions in Brussels. Preferable starting date is 1 October 2022 but can be discussed on an individual basis.
What are the requirements to apply?
- University studies in Political Sciences, International Relations, Public Affairs, Law, or Economics.
- Excellent written and spoken English (CEFR Level: C1 – Advanced Knowledge) and another EU language. A third EU language – particularly Italian, French, German and Spanish- is an asset.
- Passion about the Mission of the Church and the policy area in which she/he is going to work.
- Experience, or willingness to learn, about the European integration process and the functioning of EU institutions.
- Strong computer skills, especially in the use Microsoft 365 tools.
- Well-organised, practical-minded and able to prioritise a busy and varied workload.
- Ability to work in a team.
- The candidate must be citizen of a Member State of the EU legally residing in Brussels.
What are the benefits of an internship at COMECE?
Thanks to the internship at COMECE, the selected intern will have the chance to:
- Understand and live the mission of the Catholic Church in the EU as well as the policy-making processes and dynamics between the EU institutions (Parliament, Council, Commission) and the Church.
- Gain a thorough insight into the legal and policy areas at the EU level in which she/he will work.
- Experience high-profile events first-hand.
- Create a network of contacts of Church dignitaries, high level EU officials and policy makers and people working in Brussels-based organizations, Catholic NGOs, etc.
- Gain competences in project management and event organisation.
- Work in a multinational and dynamic team.
What do we offer?
- This is a full-time unpaid internship. Candidates are encouraged to apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship.
- Monthly public transportation will be fully covered within the Brussels metropolitan area.
- The intern will have an assigned working space within the premises of COMECE and be an active member of the staff, participating in its meetings and events.
How do I apply?
Send your CV and letter of motivation (maximum one page) by email to our Office Manager, Carolina Ducoing, with the subject “COMECE internship Fall 2022” by 22 August, 17:00 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Where will I work?
The intern will perform his/her work in presence in the COMECE premises in Brussels, Belgium, with the option of home office.